Two of the most common question in consulting fit interviews are
- Why consulting?
- Why our firm?
In this article, we want to provide you with quick and concise answers to ace this part of the fit interview.
If you are asked why you want to pursue a career in consulting, you can mention several reasons why you find consulting to be an appealing field. Some possible reasons you could mention include:
- The opportunity to work on a wide range of challenging and interesting projects
- The ability to learn and grow by working with experts in different industries and functions
- The opportunity to help businesses solve complex problems and improve their operations
- The chance to work with and learn from talented and accomplished professionals
- The potential for personal and professional growth through continuous learning and development
- The opportunity to work at prestigious firms with global reach and influence.
Additionally, you can talk about why you are specifically interested in working at the consulting firm you are applying to. For example, you might mention that you admire the firm’s values, culture, or approach to consulting, or that you have been impressed by the firm’s track record of helping clients achieve success.
Why our firm?
If you are asked why you want to work at a specific consulting firm, you can mention several reasons why you find the firm to be an appealing place to work. Some possible reasons you could mention include:
- The firm’s reputation for providing high-quality consulting services and delivering value to its clients
- The firm’s expertise in the industries and functions that you are interested in
- The firm’s culture and values, and how they align with your own
- The firm’s track record of helping its consultants grow and develop their skills and careers
- The opportunities for learning and development that the firm offers
- The chance to work with and learn from some of the most talented and accomplished professionals in the industry.
You can also mention specific things that you have learned about the firm during your research, such as its approach to consulting, its client list, or its involvement in the community. Showing that you have done your homework and are familiar with the firm’s work can help demonstrate your interest and enthusiasm for joining the team.
How we can accelerate your preparation
We have specialized in placing people from all walks of life with different backgrounds into top consulting firms both as generalist hires as well as specialized hires and experts. As former McKinsey consultants and interview experts, we help you by
- tailoring your resume and cover letter to meet consulting firms’ highest standards
- showing you how to pass the different online assessments and tests for McKinsey, BCG, and Bain
- showing you how to ace McKinsey interviews and the PEI with our video academy
- coaching you in our 1-on-1 sessions to become an excellent case solver and impress with your fit answers (90% success rate after 5 sessions)
- preparing your math to be bulletproof for every case interview
- helping you structure creative and complex case interviews
- teaching you how to interpret charts and exhibits like a consultant
- providing you with cheat sheets and overviews for 27 industries.
Reach out to us if you have any questions! We are happy to help and offer a tailored program to help you break into consulting.
Ace the case interview with our dedicated preparation packages.
Product on saleCase Interview Industry Cheat Sheets
Product on saleCase Chart & Exhibit Course and Drills
Product on saleCase Interview Structuring Course and Drills
Product on saleCase Math Mastery Course and Drills
Florian Smeritschnig Case Coaching$399.00
Product on saleFlorian Smeritschnig Case Coaching (5 Session Package)