Florian Smeritschnig Case Coaching
The session is completely tailored to your needs and usually takes between 75 and 90.
We can work on the following tasks:
- Full case diagnostic with real case and real evaluation metrics, introduction to the 1% Case Method, detailed feedback, and preparation plan
- Detailed fit interview session with simple and challenging fit questions with detailed written and verbal feedback
- McKinsey PEI session, simulating all PEI interviews for the 4 PEI dimensions
- Real mock interview with fit interview and case interview
- Tailored drills to work on your weaknesses or elevate your strengths
- Application, networking, and referrals discussion
- Industry and career coaching
Discover the secrets of effective problem-solving with the intuitive case interview approach I’ve developed. This methodology has proven so successful that I helped generate more than 430 job offers for my clients within a span of three years.
In a nutshell:
- I consistently coach multiple people to MBB and other firm offers every month since I started case coaching and with StrategyCase.com, run one of the most successful case interview preparation websites in the world.
- I am the author of the book The 1%: Conquer Your Consulting Case Interview, which is the best-selling new case interview book on Amazon.
- Our sessions combine continuous mentorship, (almost) unlimited practice cases, and the highest-quality preparation courses and drills on the market that have helped tens of thousands of applicants so far.
▶ Click here for an introduction to my approach and selection of 430+ consulting offers
FREE INTRODUCTION AND SCREENING CALLS
I offer free introduction calls if you have any questions about my approach, success rate, consulting interviews in general, etc. Send me an email to set it up.
6 KEY REASONS WHY WE SHOULD WORK TOGETHER ON YOUR OFFER
1. I have the highest success rate for case interviews on the web
- Working with me gives you the highest success rate for case interviews, as I have helped facilitate more than 430 offers (150 just for McKinsey). Multiple people I coach receive offers every month.
- With 10 years in the consulting industry from all angles (5 years at McKinsey), I know the recruiting process inside and out. I can help you ace every case interview and fit interview, exactly like firms such as McKinsey, BCG, and Bain want you to succeed.
- My clients continuously receive feedback that they seem to be much better prepared than other candidates, some even skipping the final round altogether.
2. You learn how to think and communicate like a real consultant and not rely on pre-learned frameworks that would only hurt your performance in the real case
- I focus on an intuitive and replicable approach and effective problem-solving and idea-generation strategies for both candidate-led and interviewer-led cases. First principles thinking and a hypothesis-driven mind are at the core of my approach.
- Interviewing and coaching 100s of candidates, I have developed a system to tackle every case and question type successfully, regardless of the context, industry, or functional expertise.
- On top of a systematic approach to cases, I teach you impactful problem-solving techniques to come up with creative answers for structure and brainstorming questions, interpret charts the right way (including the typically hidden insights), and succeed in the quantitative section of the case.
- The habits and methods I teach work on improving your metacognitive case skills (what to do at each point during the case), your problem-solving skills (how to go about the problem and each individual question that relates to it), and your communication (how to bring your answers across most effectively).
- For the Personal Experience Interview and fit interviews in general, we draft stories and answers together to make sure that you hit all the important boxes for the interviewers and communicate them in the most effective and impactful way. Your stories will be focused and polished without sounding rehearsed or overly crafted.
3. I support you during the whole journey and beyond and one session with me provides you with all you need to prepare on your own
- Our sessions do not have a time limit and we take as long as we need to get through the case, the fit/PEI, your questions, and the detailed feedback and scoring part (which is often longer than the case itself).
- My cases are up to 2x as long as the typical case interview, which will give you more opportunity to practice and me more observation points for feedback.
- It does not end with the session. You receive in-depth feedback on the case, tailored improvement advice, a tailored preparation plan, free practice materials, further resources, and a scoring sheet after every session. Already one session gives you access to all of that.
- Mentorship throughout. In between sessions and even after you have received the offer, I provide support and am available for questions of all kinds, usually responding within 1 hour during the day. You get my personal phone number and email for questions and discussions. I am doing this with a full-time commitment since I left the Firm and I am invested in your success!
- I regularly advise candidates to cancel remaining sessions if their performance is already at the required level and I feel that an additional session would not be needed. I am interested in your success and not your money. I am booked well in advance and due to other commitments cannot accept every request, hence, I have no incentive to do more sessions than needed.
4. I align your needs with what counts for case preparation
- We structure the sessions as you like according to your preferences and needs.
- We take the cases from my large library of proprietary, real consulting firm cases across industries and functions, both typical business cases as well as more creative cases that are increasingly employed during the interviews, covering up-to-date topics such as COVID, corporate social responsibility and sustainability, etc., all with the real associated evaluation metrics.
- I am happy to prepare tailored cases to fit your requirements (based on real MBB and other firm case standards).
5. After the first session, you receive a detailed and tailored preparation plan, practice materials, and introductions to my client network
- How you use your time after our sessions is equally important to the time, we spend during the sessions.
- I want to make sure that you use your practice time most effectively, spending time only on the most important items using high-quality materials and practicing only with other qualified and tested candidates.
- For multiple sessions, you get access to all products I have developed for StrategyCase.com, which already have helped tens of thousands of applicants over the last couple of years.
- If you book more sessions, we jointly adjust your preparation plan after every session.
6. I have a truly global perspective on top consulting recruiting and interviewing
- I conduct between 40 to 60 interviews per month (depending on the global hiring and recruiting situation), for all firms, countries and roles. I coach and interview everyone, from internship to full-time positions, from (Junior) Business Analysts to Associate Partners, and from graduate hires to experienced hires.
- You won’t find a more updated, focused, and global perspective on top-tier firm recruiting and interviews.
- My client portfolio consists of all levels of experience: complete beginners, advanced case solvers, and case experts that lack the final “wow-factor” as McKinsey interviewers call it.
READ MORE ABOUT MY APPROACH BELOW
When I started StrategyCase, I noticed that the information on the top-tier consulting application process, the case interviews, the fit and PEI, and the different aptitude tests and games that is often circulated is either wrong, outdated, or assumed to be the same for any consulting firm. Consequently, the advice given can be detrimental to your recruiting success with the top firms.
After 5 years at McKinsey, I left in January 2020 to move on to an advisory and investor role. As an experienced interviewer and coach on the whole MBB application process, I have helped tens of thousands of people alone in the last three years with personal coaching and information products on MBB applications through my website StrategyCase.
How can I help you best?
I treat each case individually and offer you tailored coaching based on your background, current status in the application process, timeline, and personal goals.
Generally, my coaching is comprised of three steps:
1. OWN THE APPLICATION
I can help you pass the screening stage and get the invitation for the interviews by working on your cover letter and resume. As a former resume and cover letter screener, I know exactly what top firms are looking for in the application documents. In addition, I know how to make referrals work and how to network your way to an interview both from a consultant’s perspective as well as from my own personal story back in 2012 and 2014 (when I was going through internship and full-time applications with all firms).
2. ROCK ALL CONSULTING APTITUDE TESTS
Since November 2019, I have interviewed hundreds of candidates who took the Solve (Imbellus or McKinsey Problem Solving) Game. Based on their experience and input from game design experts I partnered up with, I have devised strategies on how to prepare and how to take the test that will make your life much easier and improve your scores. My five-session coaching package includes my Solve Game Guide with 100+ pages, 8 videos, as well as Excel templates.
Globally, I was the first creator of information products on the Imbellus Solve Game, the BCG Online Case, and the Bain Aptitude Tests. I have detailed test and game guides for every consulting firm available, all created by myself based on first-hand information (not just copied like most other guides are).
3. ACE THE CASE AND FIT/PERSONAL EXPERIENCE INTERVIEW
After 5 years with the Firm, I can tell you exactly how to approach the core elements of the MBB interview process, the Problem-Solving / Case Interview, and the Fit / Personal Experience Interview.
MBB interviews are highly standardized and structured, always consisting of the same types of questions and flow in order to be objective and reduce bias. You can use this to your advantage, and I show you how. Learn from my insights into performance drivers and mistakes that I gained in 100s of interviews.
Case interview: I emulate a real-life interview situation testing all relevant dimensions (analytics, creativity, math, communication,…), using only up-to-date proprietary case material and evaluation metrics (with a real scoring sheet that is also accessible in my book The 1% or via my website for free).
Instead of learning generic frameworks, you will learn my system consisting of the most important habits for each stage and question of the case. With my habit toolkit, you will be able to solve any case, regardless of industry or function.
You will learn how to
- Create strong frameworks and issues trees
- Provide creative answers to brainstorming questions
- Interpret charts with the most impact
- Tackle every math question potentially thrown at you
- Move through the case in a hypothesis-driven manner
- Communicate all your insights most effectively
Our sessions include detailed feedback on strengths and weaknesses as well as actionable improvement advice depending on your stage in the preparation process (from tackling major improvement levers to fine-tuning your performance). I will also send you structured written feedback after each session to summarize your performance, improvement ideas, and tips to improve each dimension on your own between sessions. You can directly put the feedback to work after every session since I will share with you my preparation materials and drills for free PLUS connect you to my other clients for joint case practice.
Fit/Personal experience interview: I will help you prepare and improve the right stories to align your fit with not only what the top firms are looking for but to make you stand out. I will demonstrate in our simulated mock interviews what fit answers surprise your interviewers. For McKinsey, we will jointly develop stories about Entrepreneurial Drive, Inclusive Leadership, Personal Impact, and Courageous Change that are suitable and practice how to tell them in a way that resonates with McKinsey interviewers. We will tailor the content and the communication of the story together to make sure that you hit all points on the interviewers’ checklist in an appropriate but not too obvious manner.
I will show you how to deliver your messages in both types of interviews with the most impact. Apply these techniques to pass this part of the interview with ease.
As one of my clients phrased it:
“In hindsight, I find it hard to imagine a better, more time-efficient, practice. I ended up feeling really confident for the interview and got the offer.”
Lastly, our sessions take as long as we need. I am not bound by a 60-minute time window, and usually, they last around 80 to 90 minutes if needed.
Please reach out if you have any questions.
I am looking forward to working with you!
Another great session. Today was very helpful and encouraging. Florian is very kind with his time he puts his energy and determination into every session.
I just had a great session to work on my approach for candidate-led cases. After failing my McKinsey interviews last month I am now preparing for BCG and needed some tweaks in my technique. Florian was very generous with his time and before we started the BCG case practice, he helped me understand my mistakes in the McKinsey final round and what I can learn from it for every new case. I honestly wish I had found him earlier.
The mock case itself was challenging and longer than usual but what really surprised me was the detailed and methodical feedback I received. We went very deep to discuss my performance, strengths and weaknesses and Florian taught me a completely new approach for every step of the case. It’s all about what you do, how you think, and how to communicate. Very impressive and intuitive to adopt. I received a preparation plan and the detailed feedback notes 20 minutes later.
Thank you very much. I will book at least one more session.
Amazing depth of feedback and insights. After one session I felt really enlightened about how to approach a case and how to proceed with my practice. The session was not cheap but worth every penny. Florian did not just give me a random case but a very difficult and creative one after I asked for a specific industry. I would 100% recommend the coaching.
Accenture offer is mine after 3 sessions. Incredibly grateful for the meticulous feedback Florian provided. Could not be more happy with what I learned and the outcome.
The two sessions with Florian were exceptionally well structured! I learned more in these three hours than I did in the month before on my own. In the first session, we worked on a challenging case on the healthcare system in the UK. The case was difficult with some twists and turns and the feedback was very helpful and super exhaustive. I was surprised by the detailed evaluation sheet and scorecards that I received after the session that covered everything we discussed and even more things such as practice cases. The session lasted more than 1.5 hours. In the second session, we simulated one Mckinsey PEI question with feedback for around 30 minutes and then worked on more general fit questions (both standard and difficult ones for the remainder of the time).
In both sessions, Florian took a lot of time to answer any questions and listen to all my concerns.
Florian is an excellent mentor and was very patient with my performance. In just one session he made me feel so much more confident in the last stages of preparation for my final round interview last week. He told me what small chances to make and how to practice in the final days. While the changes were small their impact on my thinking and presentation was huge.
I just got the call with the offer and the interviewer was full of praise for the depth of my approach and structured communication. Thank you so much!
Florian is an excellent coach and case interviewer. I had my first two meetings with him about a week before my first round with McKinsey, which I passed. His cases were very challenging and different than the typical framework cases I practiced with peers (and in line with the two I got during my first round), his feedback was detailed and on point, actionable and clear to implement. I can definitely recommend him as a coach and sparring partner for McKinsey! I’ll have more sessions lined up for the second round and hopefully the partner interview.
Florian is definitely the BEST out there.
1. I reached Florian through the super quality content StrategyCase.com has to offer.
2. After that, I purchased the product designed to help with McKinsey Problem Solving Game that was made by Florian and proved itself as outstanding and practically made me a master of the real game when I faced it in real time 🙂
3. I already knew Florian is an exceptional professional and a very kind and thoughtful person as I asked for his advice a few times, but only when we started our coaching sessions I realized to what extent.
Beyond the fact that Florian is extremely experienced, knowledgeable, and caring which makes him the best coach you could ask for professionally, he also has a great character – his patience, responsiveness, and kindness all make the sessions and overall communication not just super helpful but enjoyable as well.
If you really want to get an offer from top consulting firms, using Florian’s materials and especially the coaching sessions will definitely pay off!
Good luck to everyone 🙂
As the first one in my family who did his a-levels, from a non-target-school and as an exoticism’s (non-economic)-Backround, I had all the disadvantages to land an offer from McK.
But Florian helped me to translate my skills into an offer.
1) he coached me for two cases to learn the method,
2) He did a math drill,
3) He did several PEI sessions with me and corrected my final version,
4) I got the offer !
I am getting back to add to me previous review. Again, I highly recommend working with Florian.
I’ve decided to book 3 more sessions with Florian, 5 days before my final round interviews. These were critical to the final stage of my preparation and were structured like this:
1) Initially, we did a 2-hour sessions focused on PEI, where we went through all of my stories. I have worked a lot on my stories before, but with Florian’s mentoring I was able to polish them and take them to another level. After the session, I’ve incorporated the feedback and sent them to him. Florian added specific and detailed comments.
2) We also went through a case interview, a very interesting one where I fine-tuned my performance and got confidence ahead of the last round. The feedback that Florian provides is very exhaustive and detailed, followed up with a written form.
All in all, I went on my interviews feeling very sure and confident about myself. I believe that this came from what Florian says: “Once you have your PEI stories ready, you have nothing to fear”. The Personal Experience Part is very important during final round interviews, as not only it is assessed a lot but also it sets up the initial impression and creates rapport with the interviewer. I would not be able to reach this level of confidence without Florian’s guidance and mentorship. Adding to that the case interview session we had, the mini “Ready for McKinsey” programme we had together, was vital for the success!
Thank you very much Florian!
Having worked with Florian, I can highly recommend him for 3 reasons:
1) He tailored the session specifically to what I had asked before and we went through a very broad and exhaustive in every area case. This is very important as this is the only way to find pain points in a candidate’s performance.
2) His feedback is very structured, exhaustive and personalised. He recommends specific action plans on how to improve on each category and runs examples to make them more clear. After the sessions, he goes the extra step and provides a short report with his feedback, which is very helpful indeed.
3) Most importantly, he is very sincere and straightforward and you can be sure that when he is suggests a plan with next sessions, he does it because he believes that the candidate needs them and not just to sell more sessions. This is very important because other coaches show you from the initial information call that what they prioritize from you is to book as many sessions with them as possible, no matter what. Personally, I want to work with people that are trustworthy and show genuine interest and Florian surely is one of them. He also keeps in touch politely with the candidates and offers help.
All in all, I definitely recommend him to anyone who wants to get into MBB or other consulting companies.
I definitely recommend to other candidates to practice with Florian. I liked his detailed and pinpointed comments on each different types of questions and the debrief notes he sent me afterwards. He let me know what I am good at and what I need to improve further. Very effective coaching session!
Got it recommended by a friend, booked the case practice for the same day, quick and easy. I really liked it since it’s kind of a different approach, really focusing on structure and creativity during the case interview. I did two more case practices with Florian within 3 days and benefited a lot from it!
I usually refrain from writing reviews, but I have to make an exception here. Florian went above and beyond helping me with my case practice. Even though I just booked a normal case mock interview, after we finished the case, we did almost an hour of feedback, also touching on other aspects of case interviews and more general questions. He does not get tired to reiterate certain habits that I should internalize to effectively move through the business problems. We talked through several other cases I did with my friends where I was quite unsure about my approach to the problem. He helped me frame them and go through some issues I had. I hope to make these changes stick and be able to translate what I learned in the coming cases. My confidence has improved through this coaching. After we talked, I got an email with an evaluation sheet, briefly summarizing what we discussed including improvement advice. The whole interview which almost lasted two hours was much cheaper than other case coaches I was researching. I already booked my next case practice with him. Thanks!!!
I would absolutely recommend the experience. The whole process was flawless and I ended up doing 5 interviews. The feedback is very detailed and extensive and I have learned a completely new way of attacking cases. The coaching extends outside of the practice calls and the team was very responsive to my email questions. I landed 2 out of 3 mbb offers and accepted the one I was striving for.
I got the offer!!! The approach I learned during a few case practice sessions here helped me to go into the interview confidently. The coach is super diligent with drilling in the right habits to tackle every problem. I passed both interview rounds and could not be happer!!!
Florian is an amazing coach. He provides constructive feedback and his comments are very spot on. I can feel my improvement after each session. Thanks Florian!
I practiced two cases with a very detailed debrief from which I took a lot. The case itself covered everything that is included in the actual interviews and feels very real. It was nice to do one case in English and one in German.
The interviews were amazingly on-point and really reflected what I went through a week later with McKinsey. I have booked the package and the feedback I got and tricks I learned were golden. I am confident that this made the difference for me to receive my offer.
The interview practice feels very real and the feedback that I got afterwards is very thorough and helpful. I think it needs a few more sessions either here or with peers to make the habits stick. I definitely had a steep learning experience during the interview and two A4 pages of feedback notes.
Martin R. –
Very good value for money when comparing with other resources such as preplounge. I did two interviews in German and one in English (BCG-like case). You receive some materials per email before the case interview, which you should only look at during the case. I had a detailed de-brief and we discussed strategies to be used for the next cases.
I learned a lot within the 40 minute case and feedback session and will definitely recommend it to my colleagues for their interview preparation
Florian uses a very cool approach to tackle case interviews. I definitely saw a few new angles that helped me to progress during the case and zero in on the right solutions combining structure, problem solving and creativity. The 2 mocks I had were definitely the most valuable I had during my prep. Detailed feedback after the case! Thanks again!
I booked 4 sessions after I used the application templates to apply to prepare for Bain, BCG and strategy&. It helped my preparation a lot – in the end I got 3 offers and what I learned through the cases here was definitely contributing a lot to my performance 🙂
Julio E. –
did 3 cases with Florian (drugs, fast food, helmets). it comes with a steep learning curve and very detailed de-brief/ feedback. liked it a lot!
I found this site via a Medium article and the mock case interview was cheaper than on preplounge so I thought I’d give it a try. We did 2 sessions, one case McK style and one more open format. I an highly recommend it as the cases are very challenging, the feedback thorough and I could learn quite a lot of new approaches. Also it was helpful that we paused at certain moments to go over some habits that help to move forward with the case.
Bought both the applications and 4 private case interview preparation interviews with the team. Both helped me tremendously!
Straightforward and super practical advice. Will book another few rounds before my actual interviews…
Tough but fair. definitely pushed me further in my prep
tailored to the firms I applied to. good valye
the interview covered all important sections; feedback and debrief was very thorough
Had three sessions while preparing for BCG, Bain, and ATK. The feedback I got during the first case helped me to overcome some sticking points. In the latter two cases I solidified the habits. Can recommend it!