One of the most common concerns I currently read across all consulting job boards and discuss with my clients is that everyone feels the slowdown in hiring with firms such as McKinsey, BCG, and Bain. On top of that, I see decreasing activity in article views, and coaching requests (not just myself but colleagues as well).
In this article, I want to provide a brief update on the situation from my insider perspective, having talked to several friends and former coaching clients in MBB across the globe.
Consulting recruiting slowdown but no hiring freeze (yet)
In short, global hiring is definitely slowing down at the moment, however, it’s not fully dead yet in most countries. The top firms as well as tier-2 firms such as Kearney, Oliver Wyman, Roland Berger, Strategy&, and L.E.K. have reduced their hiring goals for this year. The same applies to tier-3 and boutique firms as well.
This is not surprising given two facts:
- We saw a hiring spree in 2021 and early 2022 and every industry moves in cycles of growth and stagnation/decline (e.g., read our article about McKinsey’s recruiting update for 2021 here)
- The global macro situation has worsened significantly over the last 12 months with high inflation and a looming recession (amongst other things that are detrimental to business and trade…)
I want to share 3 observations.
Personal experience from working with my clients
Some of my clients’ interviews (all in MBB) were already rescheduled from 2022 to 2023. They were supposed to be last year and they already had dates set. While this was a strategy to adjust to changing demand in the short term with invitations that were already sent out, what I am seeing now is that fewer interview invitations are sent out altogether.
Some regions, however, are still in full-on hiring mode, most notably the Middle East!
Impact on hiring
While for all firms fewer people make it through resume screening, only some firms adjust the bar for the interviews. The latter are happy to find enough people to make it through the selection process. In that case, they would extend offers, potentially with starting dates further in the future.
We might even see a full hiring stop, depending on how bad the situation becomes.
Impact on engagements and job security
External advisor spending is usually one of the first expenses to be cut during an economic crisis.
Yes, recovery and transformation projects increase, but every other consulting vertical decreases by much more whenever the global macro situation worsens. I know stories from 2008/09 during the financial crisis, where new hires were not staffed for 6 months and then let go without ever having worked on an actual engagement (across all top firms).
It all depends on how bad the global economic situation is going to get.
My hunch is we see a partial to full-hiring stop in many regions in the coming months for a couple of months up to 1 year. Let’s hope I am wrong 🙂
On top of that, keep in mind that tech firms and other industries already started their lay-offs, which means that the potential supply of job seekers increases even more compared to now lower demand for them.
How we can help you get a job with MBB in these challenging times
As former McKinsey consultants and interview experts, we have specialized in getting our candidates an offer at MBB firms. We can help you by
- tailoring your resume and cover letter to meet MBB’s standards
- showing you how to pass the different online assessments and tests for McKinsey, BCG, and Bain
- showing you how to ace McKinsey interviews and the PEI with our video academy
- coaching you in our 1-on-1 sessions to become an excellent case solver and impress with your fit answers (90% success rate after 5 sessions)
- preparing your math to be bulletproof for every MBB case interview
- helping you structure creative and complex MBB cases
- teaching you how to interpret MBB charts and exhibits
- providing you with cheat sheets and overviews for 27 industries.
Reach out to us if you have any questions! We are happy to help and offer a tailored program to help you break into MBB.
To improve your skills in all areas of the interview, check out our targeted offers below.
Product on saleCase Interview Industry Cheat Sheets
Product on saleCase Chart & Exhibit Course and Drills
Product on saleCase Interview Structuring Course and Drills
Product on saleCase Math Mastery Course and Drills
Florian Smeritschnig Case Coaching$399.00
Product on saleFlorian Smeritschnig Case Coaching (5 Session Package)